Click Here to Register FREE On Vegiac.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gluten free seitan?

Default Gluten free seitan?

I was just wondering if anyone had tried out this recipe:
    Learning Vegan: Gluten Free Seitan AKA The Non-Wheat Meat...

It looks good, and I might try it (without the Braggs . . . yuck!)
    Occasional yummy food photos can be found at http://penguinade.tumblr.com/

--currently working on my thesis, so if you need a direct answer, pm loudly--

The original recipe is here and yup I have tried it. I find mine turns out a bit dry, I bake it for about 25 mins. The first time I left out the Bragg's and this time I added in 2T of balsamic vinegar.

The first time I had it on gf bread as a sausage sandwich but this time I added it to vegan gumbo.

Veteran Vegee

Why do ya'll leave out the Braggs? Is it nasty with it in it? Thanks for the link to the recipe'- cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by lucidaisy View Post
    Why do ya'll leave out the Braggs? Is it nasty with it in it? Thanks for the link to the recipe'- cheers.
    I don't eat a lot of soy and I have never bought Bragg's. You could use soy sauce or tamari instead or add extra water/stock/tomato sauce.

Junior Vegee

Default Gluten free seitan

Hi - I'm new here.I just tried this recipe.I must have done something wrong because my dough was very wet. There was no way to knead it. More like cake batter. I baked it anyway...and baked it ...and baked it...and baked it...finally firmed up.It actually had a good taste but the texture was uh, not so great.Sure didnt look like picture either.
    Any suggestions?

Veteran Vegee

Bragg's is glutamic acid which is also called monosodium glutamate (MSG).

Veteran Vegee

Default What are you trying to make?

Send me your recipe and I'll see what I can do...not your seitan recipe but the recipe you actually want to try. We've made fantastic "chik'n" fried steak, meatballs, burgers and all sorts of things by simply using Gluten Free TVP and all natural whole ingredients. We can't make steak yet but maybe we can get creative and get you a low-fat, delicious, gluten-free and vegetarian recipe.

Junior Vegee

Anything with some "CHEW" to it.
    He can not have gluten,wheat,eggs,or dairy. But he is a vegetarian.
    You are wonderful to try and help!
    Thank you so much

Veteran Vegee

Quote Originally Posted by ljkraus1 View Post
    Anything with some "CHEW" to it.
    He can not have gluten,wheat,eggs,or dairy. But he is a vegetarian.
    You are wonderful to try and help!
    Thank you so much
    No eggs will take some work since most of our meat substitutes contain them...if you can give me at least a week I'll figure something out...hopefully I can work this into our test kitchen rotation this weekend.

Veteran Vegee

Default Gluten Free Vegan Meatballs

Because we use eggs frequently, making something without them that needed good binding was a bit of a challenge. We tried 10 different recipes and the one selected below was what people said they liked the most. However, several people mentioned the flax seed does have a slight back taste when eating the meatballs plain. Some noticed and some did not.

We tried many different seasonings and found that really anything worked in this so feel free to swap out things. Fresh basil went over well as did poultry seasoning which people thought added in a turkey meatball flavor. We served these a few different ways including with quinoa pasta noodles and sauce and with a sweet and spicy glaze. A few people tried them with bbq sauce instead of ketchup and a few more experimented and liked pasta sauce with 1/2 tsp of potato starch to firm up the liquid. We're pretty sure that any wet condiment with the consistency of ketchup will work in it's place.

If you use a loaf pan, lightly coated with olive oil, and press down the mixture and top with a thin layer of ketchup it makes for a pretty good meatloaf as well. However, we did have to really pat it down (which made it a bit dense) and bake it for about 30 minutes to get it to be firm enough to slice.

Let me know what you think. This is our first vegan recipe like this and we were really excited to try something new. We'll keep working on it to perfect it and provide updates as we go along, but we thought we'd go ahead and share this so that we could get your feedback and make better adjustments. We have a great burger recipe that we might be able to make vegan...and we can certainly try to get this firmer for us so we can work on making things like "steak fingers" and other things that kids tend to really like.

Vegan Meatballs

1/4 cup prepared white rice, chopped (you can also buy broken rice)
    1 tbs flax seed gelled in 3 tbs of water
    1 tsp garlic
    3/4 tsp kosher salt (cut back if using table salt)
    1 tbs dried minced onions
    1 tsp of italian seasoning
    1 cup of dried tvp
    1 cup of boiling water
    2 tbs homemade ketchup
    2 tbs olive oil

Preheat oven to 425

Set aside prepared rice and flax seed.

In a small bowl combine garlic, kosher salt, dried onions and Italian seasoning (if using fresh herbs do not add them yet). Pour in the boiling water and stir to combine. Let sit for 2 minutes then add in the TVP and stir until moist. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Add in the ketchup, gelled flax and any fresh herbs and thoroughly mix. Form 1 inch balls with the mixture and set aside. The balls will form and hold together easily but they need to be slightly compacted in order to hold together during cooking.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat with 1 tbs of olive oil. Put in just enough tvp balls so that there is room to turn them as they cook (we wrote down 2 tbs of oil because some batches needed an extra drizzle during cooking). Brown each side being extra careful when you turn them (we suggest using your fingers).

Place your meatballs on a baking sheet or in a pie pan. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes.

Note* If you try to remove a meatball and it falls apart then they are not cooked through or you have not made tight enough balls (the tighter the ball the more chew...the looser the ball the more "meatball" like texture)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gluten free seitan?-2011-01-31_10-40-12_639.jpg  
    Last edited by Topham+Torigoshi; 01-31-2011 at 12:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread