Click Here to Register FREE On Vegiac.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips for converting recipes to gluten free

Junior Vegee

Thumbs up Tips for converting recipes to gluten free

Here are my general guidelines on how to convert traditional wheat flour recipes, into gluten free recipes. They work best for cakes, cornbread, muffins, pancakes and nut breads.

Most of the time, I use various combinations white or brown rice flour, coconut flour, quinoa flour, and cornmeal; with rice flour usually being the largest measurement. The cornmeal I have been using, is made by Arrowhead Mills and it has a very fine grind, that in my opinion, is much closer to a flour than a meal.

1. Your preferred gf flour/mix, instead of wheat flour

2. Add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum for each cup of flour.

3. Reduce liquid by about 1/3 and add applesauce, pureed banana, pumpkin, sweet potato, or squash to make up the difference. These fruits/veggies contain natural pectin which helps with binding and also adds moisture, while improving texture.

4. Add one extra egg, or two extra egg whites (really helps with binding and texture!).

5. Mix wet ingredients together on a high speed for about a minute, before mixing into well blended dry ingredients ... this process helps to trap air, especially with the extra egg whites (think meringue), which in turn creates a lighter texture.

I developed these techniques over many episodes of trial and error, as a student in the "school of hard knocks"

jax
    Official Vegiac

Thanks for the tips, Ruby Rose
    Vegetarian Celiac in Toronto - feel free to message me

Gluten-Free Ontario - Restaurants and Bakeries

Red face Cupcake throubles!

I know this is an old thread, but thanks for the tips Ruby.

Just to put it out there, does the GF cake mix have to be more runny than the wheat version? After following the instructions on a packet of GF self raising flour (yes, premixed....never do that again) which said it should be more watery - I found to my horror my cupcakes literally leaking out of the oven.

They've taken a while to cook and the insides look as if they'll never fully cook through. Has anyone else found this with GF cakes? It seems that every batch, whether from a premixed cake mix or recipe, remains very moist on the inside.

Hi phoenix- great name!

I've only used a mix once and that was for cookies. The mix was fine, but the box said it makes 18-20 and I managed to make about 12 small ones so that was disappointing as I was going to get my family to try them.

Apart from that, I haven't been brave enough to try either creating my own or another mix! Every cook book list about 20 ingredients just for a simple cake!

Sorry your having troubles though- it does get very frustrating!

Pizza

I find the unpredictability of gluten free cooking products so odd. My cupcakes turned out nice tasting in the end, but as they're so moist I'm not expecting them to last more than a few days.

I totally know what you mean about the huge amount of ingredients many GF cookbooks require. Almond meal is of course a staple, but very expensive! And the pre-mixes, as we discussed, are unpredictable and comprised of a host of food additives.

It's all trial, error and LOTS of patience I guess, so good luck!

If you find a mix that works well then gluten free baking is not such a chore. If you make up a mix and keep it on hand then you only have to take flour from that mix, rather than measuring out 3-4 different flours every time you bake.

My cupcakes are moist and fluffy but never soggy or wet in the middle. Have you tried the gluten free cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World?

No I haven't, I've seen the cookbook around but will be sure to check it out. I've just discovered they have a blog, which looks awesome.

Thanks, sad little soggy cupcakes be gone!
    Of love and bullet proof marshmallows...

Junior Vegee

Love it!!

Default Silicone baking trays..

Just to put it out there, but has anyone used the silicone cupcake baking trays?

I'd finally perfected my cakes, only to find that when I used my new heart shaped silicone tray, they became moist again.

I'm thinking that the silicone affects the heat distribution, so any tips???
    Of love and bullet proof marshmallows...

I never use silicon for baking, but some people do use it and find it works ok.

+ Reply to Thread