Click Here to Register FREE On Vegiac.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Against the Grain Gourmet - Vegetarian Safe List

Anti-Gluten Consumin'

Default Against the Grain Gourmet - Vegetarian Safe List

Hey everyone.
    Today I got an email from Against the Gourmet about the cheeses they use in their breads, pizza shells, baguettes, etc.
    First off, kudos to this company (and Tom Cain, the gentleman I was in contact with) for following up on this question and doing the research to find out what is vegetarian for us, I think that says a lot.
    Secondly, here's what is safe:

Our baguettes, rolls, and bagels are entirely vegetarian.
    BUT
    Our pizza and pizza shells use parmesan as one of the three cheeses, and thus, these products are not entirely vegetarian.
    Unfortunately, our parmesan does use rennet derived from the stomachs of slaughtered male calves. Our suppliers of cheese, Black River Produce from Springfield, VT and Hillcrest Foods, from Fairfax, VT, have both said that practically all high-quality parmesan uses animal-based rennet. My contact at Black River, who is especially knowledgeable of the issue, has told me that most good parmesan comes from Argentina, and even if the cheese is certified to be vegetarian, this isn’t necessarily something he’d bet the ranch to be certain. He did say that there was an Austrian company selling an entirely vegetarian parmesan, and he thought it was good quality. He is looking into that for us as a possibility, so we may at some point be able to easily switch to this cheese if the quality is good.

Just wanted to let everyone know!

Default Against the Grain

We found this new product at a Gluten Free Tasting that our local Natural Food Store holds monthly. This products consistancy, texture and taste is far above anything else we have tried. If you see it in the market, buy it. Don't let the price deter you at ($8.15)per pkg. at my local natural food store, and worth every penny! Just keep these frozen and pull out and let thaw for a half an hour. They are amazing. They are a new company, so it will take time for it to become available in other states.

Über Vegee

Why eat it if it's not vegetarian, though?

Anti-Gluten Consumin'

Quote Originally Posted by MySuicidalTurtle View Post
    Why eat it if it's not vegetarian, though?
    The pizza shells aren't vegetarian. Everything else is.

+ Reply to Thread