As a favorite Filipino food, lumpia with its thin crispy, delicate flour wrappers checks all the right boxes. You can buy or make them in vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free versions. If you’re celiac or sensitive to gluten, having access to gluten-free lumpia wrappers can broaden your dietary horizons.
Everyone should have a chance to enjoy lumpia. Even if you have a gluten allergy, there are still lots of ways to enjoy this Filipino spring roll that’s filled with either sweet or savory flavors. Gluten-free lumpia is a delicious way to avoid gluten while enjoying lumpia as a traditional appetizer, snack, or main meal that is designed to bring everyone together.
Check out the best way to make perfect gluten-free lumpia wrappers from scratch.
What Is Lumpia?
Lumpia is a traditional and versatile Filipino spring roll. Savory or sweet lumpia filling is typically made from ground pork, beef, or shrimp, sauteed onions, carrots, cabbage, ginger, and soy sauce. The filling of choice is traditionally enclosed in thin but strong wheat flour wrappers made from water, cornstarch, and flour.
Most people choose to fry lumpia wrappers to create a delicate, crispy texture.
While traditional lumpia isn’t gluten-free, the good news is that you can make mouth-watering, gluten-free alternatives.
Read More >> Are Egg Rolls Gluten-Free?
Where to Buy Gluten-Free Lumpia Wrappers
If you’re rushed for time or aren’t handy in the kitchen, you can purchase pre-made wrappers for your lumpia filling.
Let’s be honest, it can be difficult to find pre-made regular lumpia wrappers, let alone gluten-free versions. If you purchase lumpia wrappers online or in the store, check carefully since not every brand’s quality is created equal.
According to SpecialtyFood.com, Ramar Foods made the news when they invented the first gluten-free lumpia wrapper on the market a few years ago.
The Blue Dragon brand, available at Amazon and Walmart, makes spring roll wrappers that can be used for making lumpia. Make with rice flour, salt, tapioca flour starch, and water, these wrappers are both vegan and gluten-free. They are also crisp once fried.
Mom’s Place also does a delicious Gluten-Free Egg roll or Wonton Wrapper Mix that can double as a lumpia wrapper. Made from brown rice flour and sorghum flour, the wrappers that have egg ingredients are thicker than traditional lumpia wrappers, so take that into consideration if you opt for this versatile brand.
If you’re looking for a less expensive alternative to pre-made wrappers, you can check out your local grocery store for naturally gluten-free rice paper.
The easiest and best way to get the most scrumptious lumpia wrappers is to make your own.
How to Make Gluten-Free Lumpia Wrappers
First, you’ll need to gather these ingredients to make the lumpia filling and wrappers for about 40 servings:
For the filling, select whatever meat and vegetables you want.
- 2 pounds of minced or ground beef, chicken, pork, or shrimp
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons of grated ginger
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons of chopped scallions
- ¾ cup to 1 cup of shredded red or green cabbage
- ¼ cup of shredded carrots
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Soy sauce (optional)
- 2 egg whites at room temperature
- 2 ½ cups of warm water
- Olive oil or vegetable oil to fry the wrappers
To make the lumpia wrapper:
- Mix your ingredients together until the mixture has a consistency like a batter.
- Next, heat a skillet on medium heat. With a pastry brush, paint the wrapper batter onto the pain in overlapping strokes until you create a square that measures about 8 inches. Cook the wrapper for 20 seconds. When you can remove it from the skillet, lift it onto a baking sheet and set aside. Keep making wrappers in this way until you use all the batter up.
- Cut off and throw away any burnt edges. Then cut the wrappers in half until each one looks like a rectangle shape. Take out the first two wrappers while keeping the other wrappers under a damp towel to keep them from drying out while you fill the first two.
To make the lumpia filling:
- It’s best to cook your filling first to ensure that it’s properly cooked before adding it to the wrapper since the frying process only takes a couple of minutes – not enough to cook the meat and vegetables through.
- Once you’ve diced the meat and vegetables and added your seasonings, place the first two wrappers next to each other. Fill a tablespoon with filling from the side closest to each waiting wrapper. Next, place the tablespoon of filling along the center of the wrapper. Roll the wrapper until it covers the filling. Seal the edge with a wet finger dipped in a glass of water to hold it shut while frying.
- Put the wrapped lumpia on a baking sheet. Make sure to cover them so that they don’t dry out.
- Do the same process with the rest of the wrappers until they’re all done.
- Pour a ½ inch of oil into the skillet and turn on medium heat. Place the lumpia in the pan and fry them for 3-4 minutes until the wrappers turn brown and crispy.
- Place the fried wrappers on a paper towel to drain the excess oil and they’re ready to serve.
Read More >> Are Pierogies Gluten Free?
This gluten-free lumpia recipe is an easy way to bring interest and variety to your gluten-free lifestyle.
It’s also a great way to modify some of your favorite foods to fit your dietary needs.
With a little effort, you can have dozens of delicious fried lumpia for a fast snack or to serve up to guests for a tasty savory treat.