Is Chapstick Gluten-Free?
Chapstick is not gluten free, unfortunately. Every single one of their lip balms, glosses and other skin care products all contain some wheat derivative byproducts. For those with celiac disease or severe intolerances to gluten, this will create undesirable illnesses.
Chapstick is such a famous product that most people refer to all lip balm as chapstick; even though it may have nothing to do with the company. They’ve been around for decades and this lip balm is what many people reach for when lips are suffering. Chapstick protects, nourishes and seals the skin on the lips to guard against harsh weather conditions like cold and wind.
Some constituents of Chapstick derive from wheat and wheat byproducts. This can spell absolute doom for the gluten intolerant. The main ingredients that make all Chapstick varieties NOT gluten free are:
- Phenyl Trimethicone
- Arachidyl Propionate
The following ingredients below are for Chapstick’s classic formula and a couple of their best-selling lip balms.
- Active Ingredients: Arachidyl Propionate, Octyldodecanol, Camphor, Carnauba Wax, Cetyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate Lanolin, Fragrance, Isopropyl Lanolate, Light Mineral Oil, White Petrolatum 45% Skin Protectant
- Inactive ingredients: Phenyl Trimethicone, White Wax, Oleyl Alcohol, Paraffin, Titanium Dioxide, Red 6 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake
Coffee Collection: Mint Mocha, Caramel Macchiato and Vanilla Latte
- Mint Mocha Ingredients: Arachidyl Propionate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Octyldodecanol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Petrolatum, Paraffin, Beeswax, Synthetic Wax, Carnauba Wax, Mineral Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Alcohol, Lecithin (Soy), Saccharin, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Flavor.
- Caramel Macchiato Ingredients: Octyldodecanol, Arachidyl Propionate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Petrolatum, Synthetic Wax, Paraffin, Beeswax, Carnauba Wax, Mineral Oil, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isopropyl Myristate, Ethyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Yellow 6 Lake, Saccharin, Flavor.
- Vanilla Latte Ingredients: Arachidyl Propionate, Octyldodecanol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Paraffin, Synthetic Wax, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Cetyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Beeswax, Carnauba Wax, Isopropyl Myristate, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Saccharin, Flavor, Triacetin, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate.
Spa Collection: Rose Water, Almond Oil & Mint Tea
- Rose Water Ingredients: arachidyl propionate, octyldodecanol, phenyl trimethicone, petrolatum, paraffin, mineral oil, bis-diglyceryl polyacyladipate-2, caprylic/capric triglyceride, beeswax, carnauba wax, isopropyl myristate , cetyl alcohol, lecithin (soy), flavor, saccharin, lanolin, titanium dioxide, red 6 lake, yellow 6 lake, yellow 10 lake.
- Almond Oil Ingredients: octyldodecanol, arachidyl propionate, phenyl trimethicone, petrolatum, paraffin, beeswax, carnauba wax, canola oil, mineral oil, bis-diglyceryl polyacyladipate-2, isopropyl myristate, cetyl alcohol , lecithin (soy), titanium dioxide, synthetic wax, flavor, saccharin, iron oxides, isopropyl titanium trisostearate, yellow 6 lake.
- Mint Tea Ingredients: octyldodecanol, phenyl trimethicone, arachidyl propionate, blue 1 lake, carnauba wax, cetyl alcohol, isopropyl lanolate, isopropyl myristate, white Petrolatum 45% skin protectant, lanolin , light mineral oil, maltol, natural and artificial flavor, paraffin, saccharin, white wax, yellow 5 lake.
Since Chapstick is a skincare product, there is no available nutritional information. However, some of the ingredients contained within Chapstick are questionable for general overall health. Things like saccharin, coloring and titanium dioxide have warnings.