Is Everything Bagel Seasoning Gluten-Free?
Everything Bagel Seasoning is only gluten free if a manufacturer produces and certifies it as such. If a package or container you find on the shelf doesn’t indicate anything about their allergens or have the GF label, assume it’s not safe.
The ingredients in and of themselves are gluten free. But, certain manufacturers collect the extra spices that fall from other bagels they make, package it and call it “Everything Bagel Seasoning.”
That said, there are several brands out there that do offer a nutritious, delicious version of Everything Bagel Seasoning. The following companies offer ones that are gluten free. However, not all of them have gluten free certification.
- Trader Joe’s (not labeled GF)
- Wholesome Provisions (labeled GF)
- McCormick (labeled GF)
- Chieftain Wild Rice Company (labeled GF)
About Everything Bagel Seasoning
No one really knows when Everything Bagel Seasoning started, but estimates place it around the early 1970s. It most likely happened by accident and in an effort to save money on spices.
Many people who worked in bagel factories during the 1970s recall how owners would have employees collect fallen ingredients. They put down a tarp under the table, collected the spices and used them on another batch of bagels. These would then become a new featured topper for the Everything Bagel.
Today it goes on more than bagels. People use it on things like deviled eggs, hummus or as a meat seasoning. Others incorporate it into salads, soups, sandwiches, macaroni and cheese and many other unusual dishes. Gluten-free diets can make their own bagels with it or sprinkle it on top the spread for store-bought ones.
As you can see, the ingredients that go into an Everything Bagel Seasoning blend will almost always have sesame seeds, poppy seeds and salt along with garlic and onion powder.
- Trader Joe’s: Sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sea salt flakes, dried minced garlic and dried minced onion.
- Wholesome Provisions: Organic toasted sesame seeds, coarse sea salt, organic poppy seeds, organic minced garlic and organic minced onion.
- McCormick: Poppy Seeds, garlic, onion, salt, sesame seeds, sunflower oil and natural flavor.
- Chieftain Wild Rice Company: Sesame seeds, caraway seeds, poppy seeds, garlic, onion and salt.
Because Everything Bagel Seasoning is a specialized spice blend, there won’t be much nutritional value.
Chieftain Wild Rice Company
|Serving Size||¼ tsp (1g)||¼ tsp (1g)||>¼ tsp (0.8g)||¼ tsp (1.5g)|