Is French’s Mustard Gluten-Free?
Yes, French’s mustard is gluten-free and safe for those with gluten intolerances and allergies to consume.
About French’s Mustard
Mustard is made using seeds from the mustard plant, which is part of the Brassica plant family – one that also produces greens like cabbage and kale. Mustard seeds contain a lot of vitamins and minerals that are extremely beneficial for your body.
However, as there’s only a minuscule amount of mustard seeds in the condiment, it doesn’t necessarily give you all of the goodness that mustard seeds have to offer.
There are quite a few different types of mustard and each has its own story and unique flavor. These include:
- Dijon Mustard: Made with ground brown and white seeds and mixed with salt and white wine or white wine vinegar. It originated in Dijon, France, but is widely enjoyed all around the world. Perfect for: Salad Dressings
- English Yellow Mustard: Made with brown and white seeds that are ground into flour. Perfect for: Cheese Sauce
- American Yellow Mustard: Made from grounded white seeds and mixed with vinegar and spices. Perfect for: Hot Dogs
- Whole Grain Mustard: Made with whole brown and white seeds and mixed with vinegar, brown sugar, white wine, and spices. Perfect for: Vinagerettes and Dressings
- Spicy Brown Mustard: Made with grounded brown and white seeds and mixed with distilled vinegar and salt. Perfect for: Beef Sandwiches
About French’s Mustard
French’s is an American food brand that creates products like condiments, fried onions, mustard, and was created by brothers in the French family.
French’s Mustard was first introduced in 1904 at the World’s Fair – that’s over 100 years old!
In 1921, they started advertising French’s Mustard to the public. Throughout the years, French’s has swapped ownership a numerous amounts and has shown quite the journey. Now, French’s is owned by the multinational food manufacturer, McCormick & Company.
In 1883, Robert and George French (two brothers) bought a flour mill in New York, which then burnt down a year later, but later bought another facility. They named it R.T. French Company after their father.
French’s Classic Yellow Mustard is a bright yellow color, which actually comes from turmeric powder. It has a smooth, creamy consistency and it’s known for having a sharp and salty flavor that can be paired with so many of your favorite dishes.
If you think of American condiments, mustard is likely to pop into your mind. While peppercorns are America’s most used spice, mustard comes in at a very close second.
This American mustard is perfect as a condiment to drizzle on your hot dogs with some crispy fried onions. You can also put in recipes like mustard chicken or pasta salads, but other types of mustards might be more suitable.
The ingredients for French’s Classic Yellow Mustard are:
Mustard Seed, Water, Vinegar, Salt, Spice, Paprika, Turmeric, Natural Flavor and Garlic Powder.
The serving size for French’s Classic Yellow Mustard is 2 tsp (approximately 8g). Each serving contains 0.3g fat, 0.7g carbohydrates, 0.3g sugar, 0.4g protein, and 6 calories.