Is Ortega Brand Taco Sauce Gluten-Free?
Ortega Taco Sauce might be gluten-free.
Ortega Brand Taco Sauce is not certified Gluten Free. However, if you look at the ingredients there are only two in which gluten might be found. First, the Modified Cornstarch. If you ever see a label that says Modified Corn or Potato starch, there is a chance of gluten. Second, Spices is a vague description and who knows what it means.
Bottom line: If you are seriously allergic to gluten choose a brand that is 100% certified gluten free.
About Ortega Taco Sauce
Ortega Taco Sauce is one of the bestselling brands of Taco Sauce in the United States. The company goes back to the late 1800s in California.
Ortega Brand taco sauces are not just for tacos. You can use the sauce on pizza, burgers, nachos, and pretty much anything you want. Varieties of the sauce are available.
You can get the original flavor in mild, medium, or hot. They also have Flavor Craver Chipotle Taco Sauce, Flavor Craver Taco Ranch Taco Sauce, and 3 Street Taco Sauces – Asada 2 Chile and Garlic, Tinga Chipotle Tomato Jalapeno, and Mojo Chile Lime.
Are Other Ortega Products Gluten-Free?
Ortega also has other food items such as seasoning packets, skillet sauces, salsas, tortillas, and shells.
- The Ortega Brand Street Taco Sauces have no mention of starches or other Gluten ingredients in them. They might be gluten free.
- The Ortega Brand Salsas have no starches in them and may be gluten free.
- The Ortega Seasoning Packets have Modified Starches and/or Yeast Extract. Either of these ingredients may have Gluten in them.
- The Ortega Beans may have gluten in ones labeled with “spices”. However, any that do not use the general term “Spices” are likely gluten free as they have no listed starches.
- All of the Ortega Chiles are most likely gluten free as they have no starches or unexplained ingredients.
- The Ortega Brand Skillet Fajita Sauce does have Gluten and Wheat in it.
- The Ortega Brand Skillet Taco Sauce lists “spices” so it may have gluten in it. However, it may also be gluten free.
- The Ortega Brand Canned Enchilada Sauce has Gluten and Wheat in it.
- The Ortega Brand Taco Shells and Tortillas made from Wheat have Gluten in them.
- The Ortega Brand Taco Shells made from only Cornmeal or Corn Flour are Gluten Free.
- The Ortega Taco Dinner Kit and the Ortega Fiesta Flats Kit might be gluten free.
- The Ortega Hard and Soft Grande Taco Kit, the Soft Taco Kit, and the Taco Pizza Kit all have Gluten and Wheat elements.
The Ingredients in Ortega’s Taco Sauces (Mild, Medium, and Hot) are:
- Tomato Puree – Made from water and tomato paste
- Corn syrup
- Distilled Vinegar
- Modified Cornstarch
- Citric Acid
- Green Chile Powder
- Sodium Benzoate (Preserves Freshness)
- Xanthan gum
- Onion Powder
|Serving Size||1 tablespoon||1 tablespoon||1 tablespoon|
Ortega Website – https://ortega.com/product/mild-taco-sauce/